The General Cemetery of All Souls, Kensal Green, is one of England's oldest and most beautiful public burial grounds, and certainly its most prestigious.
One of the world's first garden cemeteries, and doyen of London's Magnificent Seven, Kensal Green received its first funeral in January 1833, and still conducts burials and cremations daily.
The cemetery was innovative in having most of the site consecrated by the Church of England, but reserving the eastern spur for Dissenters and others to practise their own rites.
Today, people of many faiths and denominations are buried throughout the cemetery. Uniquely among British cemeteries, Kensal Green has been managed by the same private joint-stock company since its inception: the General Cemetery Company, (est. 1830) still has its offices by the Main Gate.
The cemetery now covers some 72 acres (29 hectares) between the Grand Union Canal and Harrow Road in west London, and is open to visitors every day of the year.
The Top Gate (just to the west of Kensal Green Underground Station) admits both cars and pedestrians during regular opening hours. This gate also leads to the independent Roman Catholic cemetery of St. Mary.
The Main Gate, to the east near the junction with Ladbroke Grove, is for pedestrians only, and generally closes an hour before the Top Gate.
The Friends of Kensal Green Cemetery run regular Sunday tours - read more
The Friends of Kensal Green Cemetery also run regular events - read more
Kensal Green Cemetery are proud to announce the launch of their latest publication 'Their Exits: Encore'.
A much enlarged, updated and expanded edition of Their Exits, a publication celebrating theatrical, musical and equestrian performers and literary figures of buried at Kensal Green. Available to purchase online.
£20.99 incl. p&p, hardback - Purchase now